Video for Learning About Bhutanese Refugees
This video includes interviews with refugee from Bhutan, speaking about their refugee background, experiences learning English in the United States, employment opportunities, education for children and adults, and other matters that affect their daily life. Read the transcript in English.
Reflection Questions: Learning About Bhutanese Refugees
1. What experiences from the video stood out to you? What experiences are similar to your own?
2. How were the elderly refugees in the video adapting? What challenges are they having? What positive experiences did elderly refugees in the video talk about?
3. What types of jobs were shown in the video? How did refugees describe the jobs? What did the refugees in the video say was most important to them about their jobs in the U.S.? What did refugees say was important about keeping jobs in the U.S.?
4. How do the refugees in the video get around? If public transportation is not easily accessible, how can they get around when they first arrive in the U.S.?
5. Why are refugees choosing to come to the U.S. to resettle? How would you feel if you had to start over?